Friday, July 13, 2012

Mississippian motiff

 decided to offer a slightly different post, one showing cards I have sent out instead of received! I found a stack of these offered on Ebay for super cheap (something like $.05 each) so I bought all of them, 150 total. I mailed a few out to friends, kept a few for exchanges, and sent the rest to a friend in Oklahoma who is a member of the Caddo tribe. She kept half and passed the rest on to the Caddo Tribal Museum. Hopefully they will both find a nice use for them, either selling or being mailed out to advertise their exhibits etc.
The design is identified as coming from a large marine shell (probably a conch traded up from the Gulf of Mexico, perhaps headed for Spiro Oklahoma) found in the University of Arkansas collection so there is a good chance it is associated with the Caddoan people during the Mississippian era, a highly developed social and artistic period that coincides with extensive farming and political organization. Postcards showing aspects of this Native American culture are not very common; all my friends were happy to receive them and its a nice addition to my own collection.

1 comment:

  1. this is a lovely blog of Native American cards.I have a few cards to trade.

    ReplyDelete