Saturday, July 13, 2013

Viewing Native American Postcards


I am both a scholar and a collector of postcards; I decided to combine the two and have completed a paper discussing how Kiowa, Comanche and Naisha (Plains Apache) people & culture have been presented on postcards. I discussed some of this research at a meeting of the Plains Anthropological Society in 2010. I have submitted the paper to the journal for possible review & publication. A new postcard project may explore postcards of the American Indian Exposition, a combination carnival and indigenous cultural celebration. I have recently acquired many cards from the 1930s & 1940s and have a regional historical journal in mind....a good project for the fall.


2 comments:

  1. Dear assistant Professor!
    I am trying to find a resource for face painting that will educate people about native american culture and urge people to protect the remaining tribes in this world who are still in their natural habitat.

    Can you advise me how I can get a paper book or magazine with pictures showing traditional face paints of native american tribes. I will then face paint European people with these designs which they will wear and educated them about their history

    Thankyou for your help

    Michelle Wyatt

    ReplyDelete