Sunday, October 13, 2013

Brazil

My wonderful penpal Joao found more cards of indigenous peoples in Brazil over the summer, but the envelope was buried on my desk so I am late in posting them! He says native cards are hard to find there, so I consider myself very fortunate to have such a kind friend. I don't read Portuguese but fortunately Wikipedia can translate for us

"Danca dos Tapuias" The term tapuias was given to tribal people in the interior who did not speak the more coastal Tupi language. The Dutch artist for these paintings, Albert Eckhout, lived in the early 1600s and made several illustrations of early colonial South American native life.

"Indios Cacando Passaros" It seems that cacando translates to hunting and perhaps passeros is birds. These tribal people live in the region of the Rio Aripuana and the Roosevelt River in the northern Mato Grosso.

No comments:

Post a Comment