Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Maya, Yucatan Mexico

One of my students traveled with her family to Mexico for Spring Break in mid-March...her parents visited several Mayan sites including Tulum and Chicten Itza and they kindly purchased postcards for me! These are such nice cards but I think next time I will ask students to mail them to me so I can enjoy the stamps as well.

Tulum was a port location for the Kingdom city of Coba. It was a later construction and lasted into the historic Spanish period. This structure was a small temple dedicated to the God of Wind.

Chichen Itza is perhaps the most well known Mayan site for tourism, easily accessible and nicely restored. It was a late era site, blending Mayan and Toltec cultural influences. This Temple of the Warriors is one of my favorite structures at Chichen...the stone columns would have supported a roof, almost like an Egyptian hypo-style hall.


No comments:

Post a Comment