Friday, December 26, 2014

Postcrossing profiles

An interesting feature of Postcrossing, the international postcard exchange site, is the profile section. Here members can add personal information including interests, preferences and more. My profile briefly discusses my Native card collection and occasionally members in the US, Canada, Mexico etc have kindly sent a card to add to my collection. But cards have a mysterious life, traveling all around the world in various ways. Recently I received a Mayan site card from a member in Switzerland
This card is an old souvenir, likely purchased by someone on holiday in Mexico in the 1960s. The Postcrosser found it in a second hand shop and now it resides happily in my binder of Mexican indigenous cards. The scene is the "House of the Doves" at Uxmal, a late Mayan site located in the Yucatan between the colonial city of Merida and the better known archaeological site of Chichen Itza. Uxmal is well known among scholars for its unusual architecture and elaborate stone carvings. I visited the site in the late 1980s; this card is a nice reminder of my own holiday which occurred long before I began collecting postcards.

No comments:

Post a Comment